October 1, 2014

Happy feast of St. Therese




So today is the feast of my confirmation saint, St. Therese. So many years ago when I was just my ten year old self (just a while after we had converted to the Catholic church) I was sitting on our piano bench flipping through a children's saint book trying to decide who my confirmation saint would be. Now..I admit, I wanted a girl who was very pretty, because what else should I have been looking for..right? ;) I know I was considering St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Rose of Lima, and St. Maria Goretti. But then my dad sat down next to me, took the book in his masculine hands, and flipped to a page showing a beautiful young woman. She was clothed in the robes of a nun and holding gorgeous pink roses & a crucifix of Christ. He told me this is who he thought I should pick, because he thought we were very alike. I didn't see how that could be, because I knew nothing about her. But after he left I was so curious I read her little story a couple of times, surprised and a little heartbroken when I learned how young she was when she died, only twenty four years old. But now I do see. We are, in a few little ways, very much alike. We're both from bigger families. She was fifteen when she felt called to be in the convent, and I was around that age when I really started to be closer in my relationship with Jesus Christ. Her feast day is October 1st, the day before my birthday. Her birthday is in January, but on the second day of the month like mine. We both find joy in doing the little things, to please the ones we love and most importantly, Jesus. And well, we do our hair the same way. ;) She's helped me in so many ways, and I just adore her. She's someone so incredibly amazing, I just wanted to write a simple little post about this beautiful soul to please her on her special day. I figured most of you know who she is so I sticked to my personal relationship with her. Saint Therese, pray for us!

P.s just to clarify, I had my first communion + was confirmed on the same day just months after this.



8 comments :

  1. Happy feast to you Abbey! ♥ If you haven't already you might like this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/615646.Shower_of_Heavenly_Roses?ac=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you dear Grace! ♥ I'll for sure check out that book.

      Delete
  2. Happy Feast! Golly, Saint Therese is just gorgeous. <3 (And holla, holla! Converts unite!) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh..she is. ♥ Haha YES. Converts unite! God bless. ♥

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, the thing about picking a pretty Saint. 100 times yes. ♥♥♥ Blessings, Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, it's so true though. ;) God bless you, girly! ♥

      Delete
  4. Yes, she is an amazing saint. I chose to write a 10 page research report on her-couldn't have made a better choice♥
    Oh and happy birthday, girly! Sweet 16!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow..that sounds amazing + so fun. Awww thanks, girl! ♥

      Delete