March 10, 2015

gluten free lemon bars

Hello, dearies! I haven't posted a recipe on the blog for quite awhile, but you're gonna looove these delectable lemon bars. So citrus-y and sweet! If you have any questions at all about the recipe, feel free to comment them below and I'll do my best to answer you! 

this is what it should look like after removing it from the oven. bubbly, and not completely cooked.

 + the crust +

1/4  granulated sugar
1 cup gluten-free flour mix
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
5 tablespoons palm shortening, chilled

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your pan of choice. (I used a tart dish, but you could use an 8x8 pan.) 
To make the crust, combine the sugar, flour mix, and xanthan gum in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the chilled shortening and mix on medium speed until crumbly (with bits no bigger than peas). Press the crust into prepared dish with your fingertips. Flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 15 minutes. 


+ the filling +

4 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer
6 tablespoons cows milk (or milk of choice)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh is best, but I was feeling lazy so I used bottled.)
the zest from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons gluten-free flour mix
Powdered sugar for dusting


Whisk together the egg replacer & milk in the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until foamy. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, baking powder, salt, and flour mix. Mix well.
Pour over cooled crust and bake for 25 minutes, or until set. Let cool, then keep in fridge until chilled. Dust on powdered sugar just before serving. Enjoy!





8 comments :

  1. Ooh this looks so good! I want to try it now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm sounds delicious. Lemon bars are the bomb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOM NOM. I am a lover of guilt free desserts and lemon bars are one of my favorite things. So this is really quite exciting. Have you ever heard of Chocolate Covered Katie? She is a healthy dessert blogger who I think you might like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, hang on, I'm coming over. DON'T GO ANYWHERE. Those look absolutely amazing. And I love the fact they're gluten free! Gluten does unsavory things to my system, so I really appreciate this recipe. :)

    The Starving Inspired
    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete